General Knowledge Sports: March 2011
• World Champion Viswanathan Anand suffered a major defeat at the hands of Vassily Ivanchuk of Ukraine and slipped to the third position after the sixth round of the Amber Blindfold and Rapid Chess tournament.
• The Indian ace went down in the rapid game with black pieces after drawing the blindfold affair. By virtue of the 0.5-1.5 defeat against Ivanchuk, Anand lost his second place in the combined standings to Magnus Carlsen.
• Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina clinched their first title in just their third WTA event as a team, lifting the BNP Paribas Open women’s doubles trophy after upstaging Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Meghann Shaughnessy.
• Sania and Vesnina beat eighth seeds Mattek-Sands and Shaughnessy 6-0, 7-5.
• Women: Doubles (final): Sania Mirza and Elena Vesnina bt Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Meghann Shaughnessy 6-0, 7-5
• India’s Saina Nehwal won her first title of the year with a commanding 21-13, 21-14 victory over South Korean Sung Ji Hyun in the Wilson Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold badminton.
• It was Saina’s second victory against the unseeded Korean in as many meetings, having defeated her in the Indonesia Open Super Series last year.
• Novak Djokovic won the ATP Indian Wells title, rallying to beat World No. 1 Rafael Nadal 4-6, 63, 6-2 and improve his record this season to 18-0.
• Djokovic fired four aces, including two key ones to hold serve in the second set, in the two-hour, 25-minute match to capture his second Indian Wells crown.
• The results (finals): Men: Novak Djokovic bt Rafael Nadal 4-6, 6-3, 6-2.
• Women: Caroline Wozniacki bt Marion Bartoli 6-1, 2-6, 6-3 .