FIRST IN INDIA
FIRST IN INDIA
First Among Indian Women
- First and youngest roller skater.
Sheetal Pandya (7 years old).
- First Asian woman to sail around the world
Ujwala Patil, 1988.
- First athlete to be awarded Arjuna Award (woman)
- First deputy chairperson of the Rajya Sabha
- First ever woman musician to be awarded the Padma
M.S. Subbhulakshmi Vibhushan
- First highest individual score in women’s Test cricket
- First Indian elected the Chairman of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur
- First Indian girl to win the British chess championship
Tania Sachdev of Delhi at age of 8 years old.
- First Indian musician to win the Ramon Magsaysay Award for Public Service
- First Indian to leap past 6.50 metres (long jump)
- First Indian woman check pilot on an airbus A 300
Captain Nivedita Bhasin
- First Indian woman commander of a jet aircraft
Capt Miss Saudamini Deshmukh of Indian Airlines.
- First Indian woman merchant banker
Naina Lai Kidwai, vice chairman of J.M. Morgan Stanley.
- First Indian woman pilot of Boeing 707 plane
- First Indian woman pleader
- First Indian woman to be appointed as assistant director of the World Health Organization
Poonam Khetrapal Singh in general July 1998.
- First Indian woman to become Miss World
- First Indian woman to enter the final of an Olympic athletic event
P.T. Usha, Los Angeles, 1984.
- First Indian woman to qualify Olympic semi final (in athletics)
- First Indian woman to scale Mt. Everest
Bachendri Pal of UP on May 24,1984.
- First Indian woman scoring a Test double century
- First Indian woman to win a match at a Grand Slam
- First Indian woman to win Miss Universe title
- First Indian/Asian woman to swim the English Channel
Miss Arati Saha (now Mrs. Arati Gupta), 1959.
- First lady pilot to join Air India
Miss Harpreet A hluwalia
- First lady to receive the Dada Saheb Phalke award
- First practicing lady doctor of India
- First recipient of Arjuna Award in women’s cricket
- First recipient of best actress award
- First scientifically documented test tube baby
Harsha (born at the King Edward Memorial Hospital, Bombay on August 6, 1986, this project headed by Dr Indira Hinduja launched by the Institute for Research in Reproduction (IRR), through in vitro fertilization.
· First woman advocate of India
Cornelia Sorabji of Allahabad High Court Bar in 1923.
· First woman airline pilot in the world
Prem Mathur of India.
· First woman ambassador to former Soviet Union
Vijayalakshmi Pandit from 1947 49.
· First woman ambassador to the U.N.
Vijayalaxmi Pandit in 1953-54.
· First woman athlete representing India in the Olympics
Mary D’Souza in 1952 at Helsinki
· First woman cabinet minister of India
Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur
· First woman Chief Election Commissioner of India
V.P. Rama Devi
· First woman Chief Justice of a High Court
Justice Leila Seth of Himachal Pradesh, August, 1991.
· First woman Chief Minister of a State
Mrs. Sucheta Kripalani of Uttar Pradesh from 1963 to 1967.
· First woman Chief Secretary to a State Government
Mrs. Trivedi to Assam government
· First woman cricket umpire
· First woman cricketer holding the record for the maximum number of Test wickets
Diana Eduljee, (119 wickets)
· First woman cricketer to receive Arjuna Award
· First woman Dalit Chief Minister of India
Ms.Mayawati of Uttar Pradesh.
· First woman elected as the Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
Mrs.Violet Aiwa. 1962-66 and 1966 & 69.
· First woman foreign Consul General in India
Mrs. Ernestine S Heck, US Consul General in Chennai.
· First woman Governor of a State
Mrs. Sarojini Naidu
· First woman group team joins in the Air Force
Saunith Shergill (21) and Siveka Khurana (23) from Chandigarh.
· First woman hockey player to receive Arjuna Award
Ann Lumsden, 1961.
· First woman IAS Officer
Anna Rajam George, 1950.
· First woman IPS Officer
Kiran Bedi, 1972
· First Women Director General of Police of a State
Kanchan Chaudhury Bhattacharya (DGP of Uttaranchal ) troliover in june, 2004
· First woman jockey of India
· First woman Joint Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation
· First woman judge of the Supreme Court
· First woman mayor of a city
Tara Cherian of Madras, 1957.
· First woman member broker of the Bombay Stock
Meera Patel, 1986. Exchange
· First woman minister of India
Mrs. Vijayalakshmi Pandit
· First woman novelist to win the Murthi Devi award
Dr. Prathibha Roy (for Oriya)
· First woman officer in the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF
Ms.Alka Nanda Das,) as an Assistant Commandant in 1990-91.
· First woman Para jumper of the Indian Air Force
· First woman Postmaster General
Mrs. Sushila Chourasia of Madhya Pradesh
· First woman President of the Indian National Congress
Mrs. Annie Besant, 1917
· First woman President of the United Nations General Assembly
Mrs. Vijayalaxmi Pandit
· First woman Prime Minister of India
Indira Gandhi, 1966.
· First woman railway driver of India
Ms. Surekha Yadao.
· First woman ruler of India
Raziya Sultana of Delhi.
· First woman speaker of a State Assembly
Mrs. Shanno Devi
· First woman squash player awarded Arjuna Award
Bhuvaneshwari Kumari, 1982.
· First woman to be appointed as Air Vice Marshall in the Indian Air Force
· First woman to become the Chairman of the University Grants Commission
· First woman to become Vice Chancellor
Hansaben Mehta of the Maharaja Sayaji Rao University, Baroda 1949.
· First woman to climb Mt. Everest twice
Ms. Santosh Yadav, in May 92 and May 93
· First woman to fly a fighter aircraft
· First woman to fly the national flag (tri color) abroad
Bhikaji Rustom Cama in Paris, 1907
· First woman to get Shaurya Chakra
Manisha Varma, on April 14, 1990.
· First woman to reach Antarctica
Mehar Moos in 1977.
· First woman to swim fastest the English Channel
Anita Sood, 8 hours 15 minutes (Asian record).
· First woman to win the All India Rifle shooting competition
Miss Geeta Sundaram, 1975.
· First woman to win the Jnanpith Award
· First woman to win the national billiards championship
Usha Rao on August 9, 1989.
· First youngest woman in the world to climb Mt. Everest
Ms. Dicky Dolma at the age of 19 years old.
· First woman to swim across seven seas and five Conti- nents
· First woman deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India
K. J. Udeshi
· The first Indian woman officer to be deployed on board a foreign Navy Ship
Surgeon Commander Divya Gautam, part of a 10-member Indian Navy medical team
serving abroad US Navy hospitalship Mercy.
· The first Indian woman player to win a four-star badminton tournament
Saina Nehwal defeated Julia Xian.Pei Wong of Malaysia in the women’s singles final of the
Philippines Open Badminton Tournament of Pasig City; Manila on May, 28,2006.
· First woman President of the Republic of India
Mrs. Pratibha Patil
· First woman Speaker of the Lok Sabha
Smt Meira Kumar
- First British Governor General of the new Dominion of India
: Lord Mountbatten
- First and the Last Indian Governor – General of Free India
: C. Rajagopalachari
- Last Governor-General of India who also became the first Viceroyof India
: Lord Canning
- Last Viceroy of India
: Lord Mountbatten
- First British Governor-General in India
: Warren Hastings
- First Commander-in-Chief of free India
: General Cariappa
- Tenth and the last Guru of the Sikhs
: Guru Gobind Singh
- First Chinese pilgrim to visit India
- First European to visit China
: Marco Polo
- First European invader on Indian soil
: Alexander the Great
- First U.S.A. President to visit India
: D. Eisenhover
- First Russian Prime Minister to visit India
- First British Prime Minister to visit India
: Harold Macmillan
- First President of the USA
: George Washington
- First President of the Chinese Republic
: Sun Yat-Sen (1912)
- First Prime Minister of Great Britain
: Robert Walpole
- First Women Prime Minister (twice) (Sri Lanka) of a Country in the World
: Mrs. S. Bandaranaike
- First India’s Spaceman
: Sqn. Ldr. Rakesh Sharma
- First Indian to scale Mount Everest
: Phu Dorjee
- First President of Indian Republic
: Dr. Rajendra Prasad
- First Woman Prime Minister of India
: Mrs. Indira Gandhi
- First Indian to win Nobel Prize
: Dr. Rabindranath Tagore
- First President of Indian National Congress